As well as lots of gardening (did I mention in the last post? Been working hard on the courtyard garden, but I want to wait for it to have developed a bit before putting up a proper “it’s finished” post – so maybe this time next year), I’ve been sewing again. I haven’t sewn any garments for myself for years – I could never make them fit properly, but inspired by sewing blogs such as Tilly and the Buttons, and Did You Make That, I decided that I could learn to do this.
I had some fabric that I bought in Brighton a few years ago, and decided to use that to start with – as it was already in my stash it would cost nothing. I bought an old pattern from Ebay (New Look 6875) that I thought would flatter my waistless shape. I checked the measurements on the pattern and was astounded to find that I have a size 18 waist, with size 12 hips! In the shops, I would buy size 10 or 12. Oh well, I looked up how to alter the pattern to be the right shape – basically altering the shape of the yoke, and cut it out. To say I am pleased with the result is an under-statement (I have even had compliments from random strangers at work, who had no idea it was home-made). Here’s some pics (taken in the courtyard garden).
I think my button placement needs some practice:
but I did learn about how to finish seams properly (no idea why, but they didn’t teach me this at school, and yes, I am old enough to have done needlework at school):
and to perfect an invisible hem:
So, buoyed up by this success, I went to Birmingham’s fantastic fabric shops and bought material for 2 more:
The vege themed one is next to me on the sofa right now, for me to hand-sew the gathering stitches, just as soon as this post is published.